The Department of Chemistry was established in the year 1958. Presently the Department offers B.Sc course with the following group combinations – MPC, BZC, BcZc, BtBc,. Later in the year 2009 M.Sc (organic Chemistry) course was started.
The Chemistry subject is offered with different combinations as follows:
B.Sc - MPC
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
B.Sc - BZC
Botany , Zoology ,Chemistry
B.Sc - BcZc
Bio-chemistry, , Zoology ,Chemistry
Biotechnology , Botany,Chemistry
CERTIFICATE COURSE OFFERED:
“FAIR & LIVELY – COSMETICS & GENERAL HEALTH PRODUCTS”
The present generation prefers to be trendy largely in two aspects – look and physical fitness. They take every care of their skin, hair, nails and feet. They are also much concerned about maintenance and nurturing of body to keep it fit. In view of this, the Department of Chemistry proposes to commence a ‘Skill Oriented Course (SOC)’ on “FAIR & LIVELY – COSMETICS & GENERAL HEALTH PRODUCTS”, from the Academic year 2016 – 17, in collaboration with Department of Pharmacy. Sri G. Pullareddy Government Polytechnic College, Dinnadevarapadu, Kurnool.This course provides them on hand experience on preparing useful cosmetic and general health medicaments.
Duration of the Course: 45 days
Maximum Marks: 50 Marks (Theory – 30 Marks; Practical: 20 Marks)
Number of Credits: 03
UNIT I:SKIN CARE PRODUCTS– Significance, Preparation and benefits on usage
1. Astringents for dry skin and oily skin.
2. Antiseptic Creams.
UNIT II:COSMETIC FORMULATIONS– Significance, preparation and benefits on usage.
1. Lacto Calamine Lotion
2. Hair Oils
UNIT III: GENERAL HEALTH PRODUCTS - Significance, preparation and benefits on usage Ache & Pain Balm
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- The Department Organised a UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Green Chemistry: Contribution to environmental sustainabilityin the year 2015.
- The Department has completed one UGC Major Research project sponsored by Dr C.V Rajeswari.
- The Department completed two UGC sponsored Minor Research Projects.
- The Department is equipped with two Doctoral faculty and two faculty pursuing their Ph.D.
- The Faculty of the Department Dr B.Anusha published a book on “ A Compendium of Chemistry Practical procedures” with ISBN No: 978-93-88808-86-6 in March 2020.
- The Department actively organises Environmental Protection Programmes every year (International Ozone day, Anti-Pollution day).
- Some of faculty are the members of BOS of Autonomous Colleges.
- The Department Organised Student exchange Programme with Silver Jubliee Government College(A), Kurnool.
BEST PRACTICES OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- The Lecturers of Department of Chemistry have formed into “Green & Safe Chem Labs” committee. Dr. B. Anusha, HOD, Department of Chemistry is its convener. The prime objective of this committee is to strictly implement the policy of “3Rs – Reduce – Reuse – Recycle and also measures for the Safety of the students” in the Chemistry laboratories of our college.
- The Department has initiated “Departmental Faculty Forum” so as to share subject knowledge among the faculty of the department.
- The Department is conducting “Lab Cleaning Day” every Year in the third week of January.
- The Department is maintaining a “Chemistry Bulletin Corner” so as to provide information pertaining to Chemistry to the students.