The Department of Biotechnology was established in 1998.It is offered as a restructured course in combination with Botany and Chemistry. The department ishaving well equipped laboratory and alibrary giving conceptual approach towards the subject both theoretically and practically. Consistency in the pass percentage i.e. above 95% is maintained and for the past two years 100 % result is being achieved. About 70 % of the students are going for higher studies i.e for B.Ed / M.Sc. The department is organizing certificate courses like Biopesticides, Mushroom cultivation, Vermicompost etc. which enables the students for self-employment.
The main objective of the department is to provide students with fundamental, theoretical and practical knowledge of basic sciences, to impart quality education for lifelong professional growth and opportunity in a wide range of careers.Regular updating of the course curriculum is done to cater to the needs of academia and industry.The teachers are students friendly and are available for academic as well as personal counselling. The faculty encourages the students to participate in a number of co-curricular as well as extra-curricular activities across various colleges, institutes and universities.
Biotechnology, Botany & Chemistry- English medium
CERTIFICATE COURSE :Mushroom Cultivation.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- Having a well-equipped laboratory with a separate culture room.
- Organizing awareness programmes and Guest lectures by elite persons in the field of Science andTechnology to motivate students.
- Using effective ICT teaching and learning methods like Power point presentations, You tube videos and virtual labs for easy learning.
- Digital assignments were given through Google classrooms
- Guidance is given for the preparation of PG and B.Ed Entrance Exams.
- Panel presentations are given by the students.
- Students are encouraged to give both oral and poster presentations at National seminars, conferences and symposiums.
- Organized a National Seminar on “Prospectives of Plant Biotechnology”on 27 .07 .2011 and 28.07.2011 which was sponsored by APSCHE, Hyderabad.
- Organized a National Seminar on “New Horizons in Biotechnology” on 09 .02.2015 and 10.02.2015 which was sponsored by UGC-SERO, Hyderabad.
- Completed One Minor Research Project - 2.5 Lakhs funded by UGC-SERO (UGC MRP.F.No-4814/14) on the topic “Enhancing acclimatization of tissue culture raised plants by biotization”.
- Encouraging Best Biotechnology students of I, II and III year by giving 3 Endowment Cash prizes every academic year on College Day.
- Encouraging best performing students of I,II and III year in extra and co-curricular activities by giving away prizes every academic year on Farewell Day.
- Organizing Alumni meet regularly to motivate students.
- Important days – World diabetes day, Organ donation day, World Cancer day, AIDS day were being observed by conducting rallies and awareness meet by eminent persons.
- Supporting students at the entry level by conducting Bridge Course& motivation classes as 90 % of them are from rural background.
- Inculcating research aptitude in students by assigning internet projectworkin summeron Current Science Topics.
- Generating Self Employment by conducting Certificate Courses.
- Promoting ICT based learning among students.
- Conducting Blood grouping and Hemoglobin Estimation camp for all freshers of the College and assigning it has Case Study Projects for Advanced learners.
- Organizing Community service programs to create a sense of concern towards Nature & Humanity.
- Organizing Health camp in nearby villages to promote awareness among backward rural people about health and hygiene.
- Science Expo is conducted in the first week of January every year where I, II and III Biotechnology students give poster presentations on scientific issues of the previous calendar year.
- Students are taken to Study tours/Industrial visits to get field experience